Friday, February 11, 2005

Some business for a Friday

Yeah, I know, it's Friday and we're all ready to start the weekend. But there's a little business around here to take care of.

First off, my job: Did you know that when I wrote my piece on abortion just a couple of weeks ago, the first Google hit for Roe v. Wade was to an anti-abortion site? I noticed it, but was too distracted to get sufficiently riled up to do anything. Fortunately, someone else did notice, and did get riled up, and then proceeded to get a bunch of other people riled up. One google bomb later, and things look a little more normal. Good news, as far as I'm concerned, for anyone looking for factual information on Roe v. Wade. I'm a little late to the party, so I figure why not start on that #2 spot?

Your jobs, should you choose to accept them:

  • Bush's budget calls for a 25% increase in funding for abstinence-only education. Now, abstinence is a darned good way to not get pregnant or contract STDs; I'm not going to deny that. The problem is that our kids seem unwillling or unable to practice it, and in light of that, they need additional information and education. Click here to tell your elected representatives what a bad idea this is.

  • Also, the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) is in danger. This is near and dear to my wanna-be-having-kids heart, since I was turned down for short-term disability for having been on anti-depressants in the past. Joy. Details on why this is a problem and what you can do about it are over at Half Changed World.

    Alright, that concludes the work portion of this blogging Friday. Now that we've done our part to make the world a slightly better place, we can all go enjoy our weekend just a little bit more.

    As for me, I'm off to bask in the cuteness that is my itty-bitty niece. Later!