Tuesday, April 12, 2005

ugh

So fairly early this morning, I'm sitting at my desk at work, looking at my computer monitor (because that's what I do when I'm at work), when I see something moving out of the corner of my eye. I tell myself that that's impossible, and myself answers back, "Dude, I'm serious about this!" So I look over and there's a mouse starting to make his way up my wire book crates.

Yeah, there was a mouse.
On my desk.
Yuck.

And I was completely wigged out by it, not because I was afraid of it or anything but because a) I don't want it getting in my stuff and b) what if it makes a run at me?

Let me just repeat: yuck.

So I wheeled my chair back and just looked at it, dumb-founded. Fortunately, it noticed me looking at it (good thing about prey animals) and decided it was time to move on. So it runs across the back of my desk and goes down the crack (thank God I'd already wheeled back or I think I would've lost it at that point) and into my neighbor's cubicle.

I got up and walked over there to see if I could see it, but it had disappeared. "Dude, just so you know, there might be a mouse in your cubicle." He was a little more disturbed by this than I had expected. He's usually the guy in charge of killing the bugs for all of the girly-girls down here, so I didn't think it would bother him too much. I think it was because I told him that it could walk on our (fabric-covered) cubicle walls. I can't say that I blame him much. Mice on the floor are one thing. Mice that could launch themselves onto any part of your body are freaky!

Of course, our conversation attracted the attention of some co-workers, including one of the supervisors, C. She called the head of the center and he's going to get an exterminator to come out, so I guess that's the last we'll probably see of that little guy.

The weirdest thing is that I'm not 100% sure it was a mouse, because it looked bigger than I think of mice being. When I said that, C. really freaked out. "Like a rat?" she asked. "No, more like a gerbil," I told her (which was true). So now they think I'm nuts.