Sunday, April 10, 2005

It's Metal!

Saturday, Pukka and I stopped by an open house in town. We'd seen pictures of the exterior on-line and it didn't look very appealing to us, but since it was open, we decided to stop in and check it out.

We met the realtor in the breezeway and introduced ourselves. As I walked into the living room, she asked, "Have you ever been in a Lustron home before?"

"No," I said, the question having little meaning to me as I took in the fireplace in the paneled living room and the open kitchen. Behind me, I could hear Pukka saying, "This is a Lustron?!?"

It was about this time that I notice the hallway, and I finally began to clue in to what we were talking about. "The walls," I asked, "are they . . . ?"

"Metal," she finally finished for me.

Metal. It was all made of metal. The walls. The doors. All of it. At some point I looked at her and asked hopefully, "The roof?" "Metal."

Oh. My. God. It was just . . . metal. Words fail me.

I made the mistake of trying to open a door to look inside a closet. The grating of metal on metal greeted our ears. "Can you imagine when we have kids?" I asked Pukka. "They're going to get mad and start beating on the walls." I demonstrated. It was not a pretty sound.

As we walked into the bathroom, having completed our round of the bedroms, Pukka said, "Well, at least it looks like our bed would fit." (We have a king, and finding a house with a master bedroom large enough to hold it has been a bit of a project.) "You know, I hadn't even noticed," I told him. "Because everytime I walk into a room, all I can think is, 'Oh my god, it's metal.'"

Needless to say, we won't be making an offer. The search continues.