Friday, April 01, 2005

What I didn't miss

Today Pukka & I ate at Taco Hell for the first time in probably well over a year.

We had been boycotting in support of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers. The boycott actually ended earlier in March, but I didn't clue in until Monday of this week. The goods news is that the workers picking tomatoes now get a penny more per pound of tomatoes, which amounts to some crazy insane increase in their standard of living (I remember it being 33%, but I can't find the stats to confirm or deny that now). And it's costing YUM! (Taco Hell's parent company) 100K annually to do it. That should be a drop in the bucket to them -- it never ceases to amaze me how far corporate America will go to make a buck.

Anyway, when I first swore off the Bell, it was hard. They were in our regular lunch rotation, and for a long time habit would find us heading towards their door. Eventually that passed, but there were some commercials that almost did me in. For awhile we'd find ourselves tempted whenever we were visiting another town. Then we'd remember that our local place wasn't the issue, but the corporation as a whole. Fortunately it eventually became habit not to go there. All of our friends knew better than to suggest it unless they wanted a lecture on the plight of agricultural workers in this country.

Then we flew to Oregon in December, with a layover in Vegas. And in the airport (or at least the terminal we were in) there was literally no place to eat but sit-down restaurants and Taco Hells. Our layover was not long and I was starving. I said to Pukka, "You know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . . ." He took pity on me and found the one place that had hot dogs (a questionably better choice).

So today, we walked into the place free and clear for the first time in forever. I stared at the menu, trying to find my old favorites and decipher the new choices. I finally made my order, Pukka made his, and we got our chance to enjoy what we'd been denying ourselves for so long.

And I've got to tell you, it was crap.

But it only cost us eleven dollars, so we'll probably be back.