Tuesday, October 12, 2004

What I learned in church this week

I actually learned about William Ellery Channing, the father of Universalism. See Universalism grew out of a reaction to Calvinism. Calvinism held that only the "elect" would be saved from fiery damnation in hell. Universalists believed God's love was Universal (hence the name). I won't bore you with the details, since it's not something most people geek on.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite bits of the sermon: "Real religion encourages us to follow wherever the spirit of inquiry honestly leads us."

In case you're keeping track, there really wasn't a "what I learned" post last week. That would be because I slept in and skipped. (The horrors!) Don't expect anything next week either, since I'll be back home working on my sister's baby shower.