Monday, September 27, 2004

What I learned today at church

As I mentioned Saturday, this week's sermon dealt with Jehovah asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. If you'd like to read the story, you can find it here. Go ahead and read it, we'll wait for you to come back.

Ok, so anyway, what did I get out of this? To be honest, I'm not really sure yet. I still don't like the story. All explanations aside, I have a problem with a God that would ask a person to sacrifice their child, regardless of whether or not it ultimately comes to pass.

I give up. I have nothing for you. I've started this next paragraph at least three times now, trying to come up with some conclusion for you all, but I've got nothing. It's just too horrific to wrap my mind around and come out with any kind of life lesson.

Before I post this though, I want to share with you a beautiful song that we sang in service. You can see the lyrics here, although the MIDI doesn't seem to be working. It's too bad really, because as much as I like the words, the tune really adds a lot to the overall effect.

In any case, the part that got to me was this:

Men have dreams, men have died
To make a bright tomorrow
And their vision remains in our hearts.
Now the torch must be passed
With hope and not in sorrow,
And a promise to make a new start.

Pukka and I struggle sometimes with whether or not to have kids. There's a variety of reasons for that, but one is that the world just seems to be such a hostile place lately. But basing our decision on that always seems like giving up to me. So the song really spoke to me.

Yep, so there it is. No clue what I learned, but at least you get a pretty song out of the bargain.