Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Weekend Re-cap

Honestly, getting out and about is a struggle for me lately. On my worst days, I barely have enough motivation to get myself moving, and getting myself and Pukka both out the door seems like Mission Impossible some days.

So I've been meaning to write, but I'm not quite sure what to write about. Much of the day ends up being devoted to video games. Or at least that's what I think until I started writing Pukka's parents and my sister about our weekend . . .

Friday was Gaea's Feast. We hosted in a park this month and last instead of at our house. It means that we're more accessible to folk with allergies, and it gets us out of cleaning our place. M. was the only one there, so it was just the three of us. Pukka was grilling burgers, and M. and I were catching up on her recent travels. It looked like rain and I commented to M. that it would probably start raining right before Pukka finished the burgers. I guess I should've kept my thoughts to myself, because that's exactly what happened. One second it was fine, the next I felt a drop, and the second after that there was a deluge. We ran stuff to the car, and decided to regroup at a local Mexican restaurant. Anyway, we got some dinner (and margaritas!) there and had a nice time catching up.

Saturday was kind of lazy. I went to the farmer's market that morning and bought every vegetable known to man: garlic, onions, leeks, potatoes, green beans, snow peas, beets, zuccini, yellow squash, tomatoes, beets, basil and dill. On the way home, I hit the garage sales and found some baby clothes for my sister's bellybean.

We ended up skipping the Jazz Fest which had been on the tentative plans. What little interest Pukka had was mitigated by the heat and he had plans to meet with his gaming group. And I didn't feel like going alone. So while he was gone, I cooked up my beets and ate them, since he hates them.

I put the tops of the beets into the garbage disposal, but they were more stringy than I thought, so they clogged up the drain. Turned off the disposal and reached my hand down in there to clean out the clog, and the water comes back up through the drain all beety red. I knew what it was, but it's still pretty disconcerting to reach your hand in the garbage disposal and see red water come out.

Sunday we grilled out in honor of the Fourth. Beef brats, some leftover broccoli salad from Friday night's potluck and some chips. Then we headed to Coralville to watch the fireworks there. Ran into one of Pukka's co-workers while we were there. He had come alone, and had a better spot staked out than us, so we joined up with him and chatted a bit before the show started. Also got to hear some classics from the community band. They had a pretty good show (better than I expected). Returned home for red, white and blue shortcake (strawberries and blue berries).

Yesterday I spent most of the day sorting through things from grandma's sewing room. Mom had taken most of it to her house for me to look through, and last weekend when I was home we went through and did a rough sort of what I wanted and didn't want. I had been washing fabrics from that lot off and on all through the week and yesterday I hauled the remainders out and sorted through all of it to see what was there and what I could use. Found a few strange things in amongst all the fabric and elastic and what-not, including what appears to be grandma's nursing cap. Who knew? Now I've just got to finish up washing the last of it and then get the containers put away. Should be plenty of projects in there for Christmas presents, if I can find a little time.

Yeah, so that was the weekend. I do have a thing or two bouncing around in my head. Hopefully I'll manage to get at least one of them committed to "paper" this week.