Monday, November 15, 2004

Election wrap-up

Prior to the election, I frequently said I didn't know what I would do if Dubya was re-elected. Then he was, and somehow life went on essentially unchanged. I still wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, watch TV and play video games with Pukka, and then go to bed. And the next morning I wake up and do it all over again.

A few weeks back, I read this article about how people underestimate their ability to deal with emotional trauma. Basically, people tend to believe that adversity will impact them more than it actually does. For example, people imagining missing their train predicted it would upset them more than people who actually missed the subway reported being upset.

I thought I couldn't live through another four years of a Dubya presidency. And while the man causes me an extraordinary amount of stress, I'm coming to realize that he's (probably) not going to kill me.

Still, some things have changed. We'll be bucking up the money to join the ACLU here soon. And I'm working on a letter to our Senators and Representative outlining where we believe their priorities should lie. I'm sure there'll be more before the next four years are over.

Because apparently, I'm going to live through it after all.