Tuesday, August 02, 2005

home

Last week Pukka and I visited the Johnson County Fair for date night.

We ate corndogs, funnel cake and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Pukka offered to win me a stuffed animal. We saw my favorite kind of cow (I think they look like they should give chocolate milk!). We touched some rabbits and saw a peacock egg. We watched the 4-H egg races, saw some pigs, and checked out the garden that the Master Gardeners keep there.

As dusk fell, we sat under a big tent and watched the last class of the youth talent show. The first place winner in each class gets to compete in the state fair, so it's a big deal to these kids and their parents and supporters. We listened to girls in formal dresses sing beautifully while the smell from the ag barns wafted on the breeze.

This is how it is in Iowa. I wouldn't live anywhere else.