Monday, October 17, 2005

Yard Work

Saturday Pukka and I did some work in the yard. He raked up a few leaves and a bunch of dead grass while I ripped up turf for the area I'm planning to turn into a perennial bed.

Getting the grass up was mostly easier than I had feared. At least three quarters of it peeled up almost like carpet once I got an edge started. The last of it, which appeared to be a different type of grass, was rougher, but thankfully there wasn't much of it. Even the squealing about the grubs was minimal. (And I only threw one at Pukka!)

Still, it was tiring work and about two thirds of the way through, I lay back in the lawn to have a little rest. It was simply a gorgeous day -- the sky a brilliant blue in perfect contrast to the clear golden yellow of the neighbor's ash, the sun making its way through the leaves to warm my skin, the smell of fresh earth drifting over from the new garden space. I've always loved fall, and this was just the perfect day.

I tried to get Pukka to join me, but he wasn't having any of it. I'm sure the neighbors wonder about me now, but I don't regret a second.